I do not control which ads are displayed by Google Ads nor do I endorse the products advertised. Ads claiming diabetes is curable or reversible should be ignored.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Analysis of a Day's Meals, Day 2

This is a quick follow-up to my previous post.

I performed another analysis today, mainly to see if any of the micronutrients below RDAs in the previous day's check had changed. Although I do this for my own benefit, I hope it helps those who are interested in doing a similar analysis of their own diet. It also helps refute the doomsayers who ignorantly claim that eating in a way that is primarily aimed at blood glucose management must mean I am missing out on good nutrition.

This time breakfast was a two-egg omelette with mushrooms, cheddar cheese, asparagus and onion; lunch was a cold chicken drumstick with a salad of lettuce, cherry tomatos, beetroot, apsaragus, yellow capsicum (peppers) and cheese; dinner was half of a large pork chop cooked on the BBQ with a small boiled potato in it's jacket, mashed pumpkin (winter squash), steamed broccoli, steamed green peas and a home-made tomato, garlic and onion sauce. The snacks and drinks through the course of the day were similar to last time, with the addition of a little more blue cheese and a cup of home-made yoghurt.

Here are the numbers for the macronutrients:
Item.....quantity unit......Average for two days
Calories.......2124 cal............2094
Protein............81 gm...........81 gm
Total Fat........132 gm.........121 gm
Sat. Fat...........53 gm..........45 gm
Mono. Fat........52 gm.........49 gm
Poly. Fat..........15 gm............15 gm
Carbohydrate..118 gm.......137 gm
Fiber................32 gm.........30 gm
Cholesterol...516 mgm...531 mgm

After combining the two menus and averaging the results, the only micronutrient still below RDA's was calcium. I haven't added in my bedtime Psyllium, Fibre, Muesli and Nuts; that will add about 200 calories, a lot of fibre and some more calcium in the form of some milk. However, I have decided to also add more Yoghurt to my future menus.

Cheers, Alan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long before Dx I typed my typical day's menu into a nutrition and I was also deficient in calcium, so I used my nutrition program to find high-calcium foods.

One that surprised me was salmon. I think especially the canned, which includes bones.

Anonymous said...

If you need calcium I can upload some of the concrete from inside my kettle

Alan said...

Gee, thanks so much for the offer Trink, but I'll leave it for the moment:-)

I must admit I was very surprised at the high mineral content of the tap-water all over the UK and Europe when I was there. It's not something common in the areas of Australia that I have lived in. Consequently we get a lot less deposited on kettle elements and similar.

Anonymous said...

Probably a Good Thing in the grand scheme of things, much of our water comes from underground and has gotten there by filtering through chalk or limestone, also often picking up magnesium on the way. All those little sea creatures from millenia ago died to save on our supplement bills (grins)

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks so much for this information, Alan. I have posted a link to your blog on my blog site so my husband can read what you have to say about your journey.